Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Financial Forum Search :
   Homepage      News      Financial Topics     Finance Resources      Financial Forum  
Financial Forum    Taxes
Finance Discussion Forum

Lost Last Years Tax Return?
I lost my last years tax return in our recent move and I can't find them anywhere! I have checked everywhere and I am hoping they were not thrown out. Is there any ways I can get them emailed ...

Do I have to file taxes?
when do i NOT have to file taxes if i am working? i live in the state of california. if i do not have to file, will the government know that i still worked there?...

Does a flex fuel tax credit exist in Canada?

Wrong NY Sales Tax amount?
Is it okay for business to round up the sales tax to make it easier to deal with? I often go to an ice cream place in Nassau County, NY where this summer I have notice that they are charging tax now. ...

How do you get the IRS to investigate someone?
If a deadbeat dad is hiding behind his wife, ie. putting all assets in her name such as car, bank accounts, utilities, how do you get the IRS to investigate the wife? Say the ex and the wife are ...

What would happen if tickets were subject to a 10% tax levy?
How much will ticket prices rise by?...

Who do I put as my employer if my last job as through an agency?
I'm apply for work and I've had minimal luck and I don't want to return to an agency since I'm trying to find part-time jobs and agencies usually specialize in full-time. Maybe I&#...

If I wanted to transfer significant ¬£ into UK from an overseas property sale, what taxes would I have to pay?
I am a UK citizen who owns property in another country. We want to sell this property and bring in the proceeds into the UK....

has anyone received unemployment extended benefits in texas yet?

Does the US tax silver?
I am thinking about investing in silver, so does the US tax:

Fine Silver Coins
Junk Silver Coins
Silver Bullion?

Thanks!!...

I have an apartment in NY and in PA how do I do my taxes?
ok so here is the deal I rent 2 apartments, one in the Poconos for my weekend getway and the other here in Staten Island NY. I just started a new job in NYC and I noticed on my Pay stub I get charged ...

Receiving fees from IRS, but how?
How do these instances come about?...

State and federal taxes...??
why am i getting federal and state taxes taken out of my check and yet my friends aren't? we all get the same hours as well as the same hourly wage and mine is the only one getting these taxes ...

how can i work out the tax rate in excel?
I am new to excel, and i just started a little job and i need to know how to get the tax rate in excel for the workers. lets say one of the workes gets around 150 a day need to take out about 25% as ...

Line 55 on Jackson Hewitt taxes?
I have the two column, one page print out of my parent's Jackson hewitt taxes. I need to know which row on column two line 55 is. It's for my FAFSA. So in terms of '6th row from the ...

im on dla low rate and get incapacity benefit can i claim income support?
i get low rate care low rate mobility dla and get incapacity benefit can i claim income ...

Does anyone know how coucil tax works if you live above a shop? Do you pay half and the shop pay half?

in which year shops & establishment act came into force in Uttar Pradesh?

the pan no.is wrong so i want surrenderr this pan no.?

How can i avoid paying taxes for Rent (under Indian IT act)?
I have a property and plan to give it for rent and use it to pay off my housing loan on another property. If it is taxable,or can anyone guide me a way to avoid paying taxes (for eg: collecting the ...

andy k
Should minimum wage be set regionally in the UK?
I know this sounds a bit controversial, but could minimum wage be set regionally in different areas of the UK? (i.e. lowered in poorer areas and heightened in richer areas).

My reasoning is this:

A lower minimum wage in poorer areas might entice companies and businesses to move more to these poorer areas due to the CHEAPER LABOUR.
Of course though on a smaller minimum wage allowances would have to be put into place to allow people to still be able to afford essentials and a decent life, so where the minimum wage was lowered couldn't taxes such as VAT also be lowered in the same areas?
This could make labour cheaper, but still make it viable for people to live on a smaller income if set in the right way.

In richer areas the minimum wage would be higher making businesses look for cheaper areas to base in, thus moving to these poorer areas and gradually building up the poorer regional economies. As a regional developed economically then there might be no need any longer for such treatment, thus a newly developed region could gradually be phased into a higher minimum wage again and restraints put in place to stop companies moving away as soon as this happened.

The regions where I think the lower minimum wage and taxes could be applied are: North East England, Parts of North West England, Yorkshire, The South Wales Valleys, North East Wales, Devon and Cornwall, Northern Scotland.

So what are your views? Is this viable or is it a daft idea? And is there any problems with it in certain aspects?

Thanks

Claire
Rating
Not only is it a daft idea, which is completely unworkable, but I think you completely miss why companies aren't moving to certain areas DESPITE money already being available.

The costs of running the scheme would be huge. It would be better to simply offer grants to companies in high unemployment areas - which they already do.

The reasons why companies don't move to certain areas isn't to do with the cost of wages - its actually only one consideration and would offer only minor benefits if any at all. Its about the skill set of the local population, facilities and infrastructure available, location (transportation costs of raw materials and finished goods, access by road/rail etc).

Companies already DO move to certain high unemployment areas, if the cost of wages is their biggest concern, because they know they can employ a large number of employees at a low rate. (There are a lot of call centres in Gateshead, Stoke and Glasgow for this very reason).

Besides which why should someone be paid less because of the area they live in? It doesn't improve the economic inequality between regions. And what happens in border areas? It would be completely unworkable to monitor and regulate. Workers wouldn't know what they are entitled to, and would potentially allow employers to exploit workers because of the complex system and the confusion it would create.

Soylent Mac
Rating
Living costs are higher in London so NMW should be higher to reflect this. Without higher London NMW, workers may not be able to afford to live and therefore will move up north.

Wages vary throughout the economy. e.g. in London, average wages are higher than in North

Therefore, lowering the NMW in the north may a rise in employment, especially in low wage industries,

In London a NMW of £5.35 may be too low to have any effect

A NMW of £5.35 may be above the equilibrium wage rate in the north and therefore cause unemployment

However evaluation

1. Becomes more difficult to enforce and administer

2. Little evidence NMW has caused much unemployment in the north.

3. Unemployment benefits are the same for different areas. Therefore, there is still same incentive to get a job rather than be unemployed.

The Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) has called for a regional minimum wage after new research showed large variations in the impact of increases to the National Minimum Wage across the UK.

The FSB found that minimum wage increases affect one in four businesses in Scotland, Wales and northern regions of England compared to just under one in 20 in the south east of England.

In evidence to the Low Pay Commission published today, the FSB said that community businesses, such as hotels, restaurants, shops, garages, care homes and hairdressers, are the most likely to be affected by increases to the minimum wage.

FSB employment chairman, Alan Tyrrell, said: "The National Minimum Wage has a disproportionate impact on businesses in Scotland, Wales and the North of England. Regional wage variations such as 'London weighting' are standard practice in many organisations and there is now compelling evidence to look at introducing a regional variation to the minimum wage."

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - 1 - 2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
The Causes and the Results. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2012 FinancialCrisisBlog Monday, September 1, 2014